Program Details, NSHC Membership, Member Benefits, Program Pricing & Inclusions
There is a clear demand by the healthcare industry for Evidence-based Health Coach Certification predicated on an individual’s clinical expertise, knowledge, and licensure/credentials to practice. The National Society of Health Coaches works closely with its Professional Advisory Board, professional practice associations, MINT Trainers, and others in professional and private practice to establish its standards for core competencies, training, and testing. NSHC’s Code of Ethics and Standards of Practice are based on those of the American Medical Association (AMA), the American Nurses Association (ANA) and the International Coaching Federation (ICF).
NSHC’s self-study program, Evidence-based Health Coaching (EBHC)® for Healthcare Providers, 4th Edition, is uniquely designed for the busy healthcare professional and allied healthcare provider. On average, 85+ hours of focused self-study and practice are generally commensurate with testing success. However, differences in individual study habits, reading speed & comprehension should be taken into account.
While NSHC’s health coaching program is developed for all members of a healthcare team, Health Coach Certification is extended only to clinicians and health practitioners, while the Certificate of Completion is granted to all other providers.
The Certificate of Completion, while not a certification, demonstrates that one has successfully completed the NSHC evidence-based health coaching education program and testing. NSHC Certificate holders may provide Wellness Coaching that includes providing general guidance within health behavior change coaching engagements in areas such as healthy eating, exercise, tobacco cessation, weight loss, and stress management. Employers may then determine how one’s health coaching knowledge and skill will be used within their own organization.
NSHC’s Certified Health Coach may integrate health coaching into one’s clinical work and/or may independently practice as a health coach. Check with your state board for guidance on independent business practice. Clinicians having received certification can provide health coaching in areas covered by their license, as well as general guidance for wellness, healthy eating, exercise, tobacco cessation, weight loss, and stress management.
NSHC’s Self-Study Program is available in either a Hardcopy or Electronic version and includes additional online study aids, resources, and online testing.
The E-manual is designed for those who prefer to study online at our website; a current NSHC membership is required to log into the member’s password-protected site. Please note that the E-manual is a “read-only” manual and is not downloadable, editable, or printable.
**University/college Faculty, contact us for information related to incorporating Evidence-based Health Coaching into your curriculum.
How to Get Started
Getting started is easy. Here's how
The self-study program is available in both hardcopy and electronic version and includes additional online study aids, resources, and online testing. It is an effective way to integrate health coaching into clinical work and/or independently practice as a health coach, for those who are interested in improving general wellness, healthy eating, exercise, tobacco cessation, weight loss, and stress management.
Included with each Registration
- Hard copy Manual OR E-Manual access (current NSHC membership required)
- Additional online study materials & practice
- 42 CE Contact Hours upon passing
- Current membership is required to log in to the NSHC member’s areas of the website to access the E-Manual, tools, study resources, testing, earned certificates and the Member Store.
- NSHC Certification Registry (Conditions apply)
- One Free Test attempt when the test is completed within 12 months of purchase. Additional test attempts (if needed) may be purchased in the Member’s Store.
- E-Quick Reference Guide for field use
- Online Skills Practice
- Numerous case examples, concept applications, and quick quizzes
- Plus! Wellness & Prevention (Smoking cessation, weight loss & maintenance, stress management, healthy eating & exercise)
- Self-assessments of your coaching style
- Best practice clinical interventions for CHF, HTN, CAD, COPD, Diabetes, Depression, Pain, Pressure Ulcer (via online access)