NSHC Health Coach Certification, Eligibility, Certificate of Completion, Testing, CEs, Recertification
NSHC's Program bestows either a:
- Health Coach Certification (For those holding a current certification eligible credential listed below) OR
- Certificate of Completion (For those without a certification eligible credential listed below [Designated as Allied Health Providers] )
*NSHC has one program of study.
Having one study program allows all members of the healthcare team to study the same materials in order to project the same philosophy and implement the same engagement skills to the level of their credentials and/or boundaries designated by their employer or their job description. Due to liability differences, those with a certification eligible credential take the health coach certification exam to become a Certified Health Coach (CHC). All others take a Post Test for the Certificate of Completion.
NSHC's Self-Study Manual is available in Hardcopy or E-Manual for those that prefer to study online at our website. Both study manuals include additional online study resources, tools, and online testing.
NSHC Certification Eligible Credentials:
If you do not see your credential below, you will select Allied Health Provider during Registration and you will be taking our course for a Certificate of Completion - scroll for details.
- AACVRP: CCRP Exercise Physiologist
- ACSM: Certified Clinical Exercise Physiologist
- ACSM: Certified Exercise Physiologist
- ACSM: Registered Clinical Exercise Physiologist
- Alcohol & Drug Counselor (Licensed, Certified)
- American Board of Genetic Counseling, Certified Genetic Counselor
- Anesthesiologist Assistant (NCCAA Certified or Licensed)
- ASEP: Board Certified Exercise Physiologist
- Associate Licensed Counselor
- Audiologist: Licensed or Registered
- Board Certified Assistant Behavioral Analyst
- Board Certified Behavioral Analyst
- Board Certified Behavioral Analyst-Doctoral
- BOC Certified Athletic Trainer
- Certified Acupuncturist (NCCAOM)
- Certified Dietitian/Nutritionist (NY Residents)
- Certified Lymphedema Therapist
- Certified Nutrition Specialist (BCNS)
- Certified Nutritionist Technician
- Certified Psychiatric Rehabilitation Practitioner
- Certified Respiratory Therapist (CRT)
- Certified Therapeutic Recreation Specialist
- Clinical Embryologist
- Clinical Nurse Specialist
- Dietetic Technician, Registered (CDR)
- Foreign Medical Doctor (ECFMG Certified plus USMLE Step3)
- Hospital Corpsman (Active Military Duty)
- International Board Certified Lactation Consultant
- Licensed Acupuncturist
- Licensed Chiropractor
- Licensed/Certified Clinical Chiropractic Assistant
- Licensed Clinical Addiction Specialist (NC SAPPB)
- Licensed Clinical Psychologist
- Licensed Clinical Social Worker
- Licensed Creative Arts Therapist
- Licensed Dentist
- Licensed Dietitian
- Licensed Doctor of Optometry
- Licensed Doctor of Osteopathy
- Licensed Genetic Counselor
- Licensed Independent Chemical Dependency Counselor
- Licensed Medical Doctor
- Licensed Mental Health Counselor
- Licensed Midwife
- Licensed Nutrition & Dietetic Technician
- Licensed Nutritionist
- Licensed Pharmacist
- Licensed Practical Nurse
- Licensed or Registered Physical Therapist/Physiotherapist
- Licensed Physical Therapy Assistant
- Licensed Physician Assistant
- Licensed Podiatrist
- Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor
- Licensed Professional Counselor (Includes UK Prof. Counselors)
- Licensed Professional Counselor Associate
- Licensed Psychologist (Clinical practicum completed)
- Limited Licence Psychologist
- Licensed Psychological Associate
- Licensed School Psychologist
- Licensed Veterinarian
- Licensed Vocational Nurse
- Marriage & Family Therapist (Licensed, Associate)
- Mayo Clinic Certified Tobacco Treatment Specialist
- Music Therapist (BC-MT or graduate of an AMTA approved school)
- NAADAC National Certified Addiction Counselor (Level I or II)
- NAADAC Master Addiction Counselor
- National Certified Counselor
- Naturopathic Doctor (Modern) (NPLEX Licensed/Registered)
- NBCC National Certified Counselor
- Nurse Practitioner (Licensed)
- Occupational Therapist (Registered, Licensed)
- Occupational Therapy Assistant (Certified, Registered, Licensed)
- Paramedic (NREMT Certified or Licensed)
- Radiation Therapist (Licensed or ARRT Certified)
- Registered Dental Hygienist
- Registered Dietitian (CDR)
- Registered Dietitian Nutritionist (CDR)
- Registered Kinesiologist
- Registered Nurse (Licensed)
- Registered Respiratory Therapist (RRT)
- SAPPB Licensed Clinical Addiction Specialist
- Speech-Language Pathologist (Licensed, Registered)
- Speech-Language Pathologist Assistant (Licensed, Registered)
- Tobacco Treatment Specialist (TTS/CTTS)
The credential of CHC (Certified Health Coach) is granted upon passing the NSHC timed Certification Exam and Skills Competency and is valid for 5 years from the date the exam is passed, as long as one remains in good standing with the Society, one's professional license/credential remains current and unencumbered by the issuing body for the 5-year term of the certification.
5-Year Certification Term Requirements: NSHC Health Coach Certification is predicated on a member's active, unencumbered professional license/credential to practice. Therefore, a member must keep his/her State/Nationally issued professional license/registration (e.g., MD, RN, RD, RPT, etc.) current in our database for the 5-year term of the NSHC's CHC certification. Failure to login and update the expiration date after renewing your license/registration will result in your certification status displaying as "Inactive" in the Member's CHC Registry that is used by employers to verify one's CHC certification status.
Testing: One complimentary test session is provided when testing is completed within 12 months from the date of purchase/registration. If the Certification Exam is not passed on the first attempt, there is a one-time 30-day wait period to re-test. Additional exam attempts ($50) may be purchased in the Member's Store. There is no waiting period to re-test the Skills Competency component of the exam ($25). Testing after the 12-month complimentary period will incur a $50 testing fee and a $50 NSHC membership renewal fee.
Clinicians Residing Outside of the U.S. are eligible for NSHC certification. NOTE: It is the responsibility of the individual to determine if and how the NSHC certification will be recognized and used in his/her specific country.
Member's CHC Registry: The Registry is provided as a member benefit for current NSHC members.
Employers use NSHC's Member's CHC Registry to validate the status (Active or Inactive) of one's Health Coach Certification. A current unencumbered professional license/credential (e.g., MD, RN, RD, COTA, RPT, etc.) and a current health coach certification in the NSHC database are required to be listed as "Active" in the Member's Registry. Failure to update the expiration date of one's professional license renders one's CHC "Inactive" in the Registry.
Certificate of Completion
NSHC offers a Certificate of Completion to allied healthcare providers (those without a certification eligible credential listed). The NSHC Certificate of Completion is granted after passing the online Post Test and Skills Competency.
The Certificate of Completion demonstrates that one has successfully completed the NSHC evidence-based health coaching education program and testing. Many allied healthcare providers choose NSHC's Certificate of Completion over another organization's Certification due to NSHC's focus within healthcare settings.
While the Certificate of Completion is not a Certification, the skills learned may be used in Wellness Coaching, not to be confused with health coaching provided by licensed health practitioners. Wellness coaching utilizes the same health behavior change conversation skills and strategies to guide individuals through the behavior change processes in order to improve/optimize wellness and health behaviors to prevent the onset of disease and improve and/or maintain one's quality of life.
The NSHC Certificate of Completion does not grant one the right or responsibility to promote themselves as an NSHC Certified Health Coach (CHC).
Testing: One complimentary test session is provided when testing is completed within 12 months of one's purchase date. If you are not successful in the first test attempt, you may re-test at any time. The re-test fee is $25. Testing after the 12-month complimentary period requires a $25 testing fee and $50 NSHC Membership renewal fee. All testing attempts and membership renewals may be purchased in the Member Store.
All testing is conducted online. A member is expected to use his or her own unique username and password to enter the private member area to access and complete testing independently, without collaboration or assistance from or with others. During the NSHC routine quality reviews, should the Society for any reason believe that user integrity is in question, or that an exam has been breached or compromised in any way, including the sharing of test questions or answers between individuals, it reserves the right and authority to revoke individual NSHC membership, Certification or Certificate of Completion, and any CE credit associated with such testing. Employers, who have their users testing as a group, are strongly advised to proctor their testing.
The NSHC maintains the privacy of member test results, including members who are part of a company or association group.
Contact hours and credits are provided complimentary by the NSHC.
Nursing and Physical Therapy are granted Forty-two (42) Continuing Education Contact hours by Scully Health Management, Inc. (954-242-0515), Coral Springs, FL, an Approved Provider by the California Board of Registered Nursing (CEP 14223), Florida Board of Nursing (NCE3358) and Approved by the Physical Therapy Board of California.
The Commission on Dietetic Registration has approved NSHC's program for 42 CPEUs for its Registered Dietitian; Dietetic Technician, Registered; Registered Dietitian, Nutritionist; and Nutrition & Dietetic Technician, Registered. "Learning Needs" Codes for the Commission on Dietetic Registration are 6010, 6020, 6070, and 6080. Those awarded CPEUs may submit Program feedback directly to the CDR at email@example.com
All other individuals qualified for NSHC Certification and also Allied Healthcare Providers, upon passing, receive 42 CECs from the American College of Sports Medicine(ACSM). The American College of Sports Medicine's Professional Education Committee certifies that the National Society of Health Coaches meets the criteria for official ACSM Approved Provider Status from 2018 - December 2021. Providership # 701294.
NOTE: Those granted CE Contact Hours are responsible for safely maintaining their respective certificate in their own personal files and for submitting to their own Professional Board for approval.
DISCLOSURE: The authors/developers of NSHC's self-study program are the co-founders of The National Society of Health Coaches. The Society offers the sale of its program online from its website: https://www.nshcoa.com/order-health-coaching-programs. Alliances, such as MyFitScript, have offered complementary content for the program as experts in their fields, with no remuneration to or from The Society.
A CE accreditation body, like those mentioned above, may at any time change its policies, procedures, rules and CE contact hours approved for programs. These changes may in turn affect the CE contact hours at any time awarded by the NSHC.
Recertification is required every 5 years and is achieved only through re-testing. The exam will reflect the content of the most current NSHC Edition of its self-study program. NSHC Members will register for recertification and test prior to the expiration of their CHC credential to avoid interruption in their certification status. A current NSHC membership, in good standing with the Society, and an active unencumbered license/qualifying credential are required to recertify.
Register for recertification in the Member Store after login or contact us to request an invoice to pay by check.
Included With Registration:
- All study materials - choice of either a Hard Copy or Online/Electronic version (E-manual)
- Hard copy manual ships to the address in our database unless otherwise notified.
- The E-Manual is accessed on our website after login and it is a read-only/not downloadable PDF document.
- One test attempt when the attempt is completed within 12 months of purchase date.
- 42 CEs upon passing